Friday, December 20, 2013

The Value of Time

I received the best advice this week: "The person just does not have regard or value for your time. You need to value everything that time entails"

It made me strongly reconsider the way I value my time and approach  the people I want to interact with: business, personal and beyond. 

Time is not minutes. 
Time is: energy, money, assets (and the "time" that went into the accumulation of assets), worry, strength, fortitude, planning, coordination, sacrifice, backup plans, opportunity, and on and on. 

Time is the most precious resource because once you spend it, you can’t get it back.

People do not know what a person does throughout their day. I have been a tractor mechanic lately and first thing I realized is it took 10x longer than anyone thought it would, no wonder it's expensive to fix your car. From this I learned I must always assume that I don't know how anyone spends their time. 

I have found that many people either underestimate or overestimate how I spend my time, but few see a realistic view. The person who undervalues my time is unfortunately myself. I must value this and stop enabling others to do the same. 

No comments: