Monday, January 20, 2014

Entrepreneurship: Riding a Lion

Starting and running a business; "It's like a man riding a lion. People think, 'This guy's brave.' And he's thinking, 'How the hell did I get on a lion, and how do I keep from getting eaten?"



A fantastic article by Inc. Magazine goes into the complexities of entrepreneurship and the behind the scenes of starting a business. Basically, in essence it describes my life, the challenges, the obstacles, and why I do what I do. 

http://www.inc.com/magazine/201309/jessica-bruder/psychological-price-of-entrepreneurship.html?cid=sf01002

I am invited to a lot of career days at schools - perhaps with the hope that I'll encourage kids who want to work with animals, specifically horses. The first thing I always emphasize, however, is that they need to be educated, they need to choose a field to work in, and perhaps they want to have a stable career working for someone else. 

Be careful what you wish for, and understand what you're getting into if you really want to run your own business. You can always have a barn at your house but are you sure that you want to run it as a business? A barn and a business are two very different things, very different beasts. 

I wouldn't trade my business for anything. A) I have too much in it at this point: equity, work, lost relationships, missed opportunities, hopes and dreams. B) I really do love what I am doing, meeting the people who ride my horses, and overall I really do love my horses (even if the business side sometimes makes me forget why I do what I do, the horses work hard to remind me). But that said, it takes a particular brand of stupid to do what I do. 

No comments: