Thursday, March 10, 2016

"Why buy a horse when I can ride yours?"

I've had a client who I have expected to buy a horse for a long time. It finally clicked that it is a SERIOUSLY IMPORTANT compliment when she says "Why would I buy a horse when I have so many nice horses of yours to ride?"

What this actually should have meant to me, especially coming from such a logical individual: 

a) a large number of horses in the stables are of a quality that someone of a certain skill level feels they have ongoing opportunities available to them that would make horse ownership unnecessary

b) that despite riding with a wide range and large number of individuals, our horses are well kept and happy enough to be lively, unique and have personalities that allow a rider to develop report and their own relationships with them

c) the value added that many people would find in horse ownership doesn't outweigh the cost, benefit or community involved in our programs. 

I'm not sure why it took me this long to view a multi-year postponement of horse ownership as such an advanced and intricate complement.

No comments: